Monday, November 16, 2009

Mr Regiment 2010

I am at a loss for words.  A year has come and gone.  And what a year it's been.  So much has happened.  And I have changed quite a bit.  There are things that are the same and things that are almost unrecognizable.

One thing I am certain of...this will go down for me as one of the most amazing years in my life.  I had been very reticent to even run for the title of Mr Regiment.  A long time ago in a country far far away (also known as San Francisco, 1996-ish), I ran for Leather Daddy's boy.  Loren and I had just met, he had just won Leather Daddy, and wanting to prove myself, I ran - even though I was terrified of competing.  And I came in first runner up.  I was disappointed in not having won, but not so much that when the contest rolled around the following year, I ran again.  And...once again, I came in 1st runner up.  I was really hurt by that. I was surprised how much so.  I vowed I was never going to run for another contest.

As I moved from 30 to 35.  And from 35 on to 40, Loren constantly would tell me how with each year I get more handsome and more confident.  I realized at age 40, that the experience of being a titleholder was one of those 'stories' that I didn't want to get to the end of my life and regret not having shot for.  I decided that the time was right.

Loren's and my relationship has grown and changed over the years, and we both realized that I needed an opportunity to be more than simply his boy. He encouraged me to run if I wanted to, and that he would support me with however I wanted to pursue it.

I looked at the various titles in the Los Angeles Leather series and decided very quickly on the Mr Regiment title to run for.  I was a member of the California B&B, so I already had an affinity got uniforms, and given the different personalities of the different titles, I felt that Mr Regiment would be a good fit.  Upstanding, clean cut, but with an irreverent, mischievous, 'you can take me home to mother, just don't tell her what we did last night' sort of title.  And, I figured, if I lost, I would have a few months to get over it before I could try for another one as a fallback.  Although I knew...given my past, if I hadn't won, I probably would not have.

I have two key memories of competing for Mr Regiment 2009.  The first was finding out as I was dressing for the Formal Wear section (first part) that we would have to give a 90 second speech.  I had been surprised that I wasn't going to have to given the contestant notes made no mention of a speech, so I hadn't prepared anything.

With literally 90 seconds notice I headed out on stage for formal wear and my spontaneously generated commentary on fetish, gear, and bringing sex back into our public events.

I have always had a fear of public speaking, and stage fright as well, but somehow, I started talking and just simply addressed the audience.  And...I felt good doing it - that or the adrenaline had me loopy LOL.

The other memorable moment was the final section - the jockstrap portion.  Loren got me nicely fluffed backstage, and being the rubber perve that I am, we put about 15 silicone o-rings around my cock and balls.  I was so hard I couldn't get my codpiece snapped down.  I went out on stage and worked the stage while Mike Gerle (our emcee and IML 2007) read my fantasy.  As he got toward the end, I yanked off my codpiece entirely and sprang forth with well...enthusiasm.  There is nothing quite so memorable as leaving either an emcee or an IML speechless, during a public event.  Mike picked back up and said without too much of a break "This is my absolute favorite contest ever."

As is probably apparent from the title of this blog...I did win Mr Regiment.

My experience as Mr Regiment has entailed continuing to be involved in various club activities, preparing for Los Angeles Leather, helping with various fundraising events, being visible and supportive and other events, taking on the challenge of organizing, producing events of my own and one of my favorite activities (even though it's one of the hardest for me) reaching out to those who have yet to become knit into the fabric of our community.

For me, having this title has offered me the opportunity, the role, which made it easier for me to break out of my shell, enjoy being more visible, it helped me discover my sexy playful side, and share it with others, it helped me learn how to ask others for help (something I still have a hard time doing), it made it easier for me to realize that I have a place in this community not just for now, but for the future, and tha I can make of that what I will.

Some things are not unlike they were a year ago.  I am still fiercely loyal to my husband Loren; I am still involved in a variety of activities for a variety of clubs (I still have trouble saying no); I am still not very aggressive about seeking out sexual play, but still very mischievous when I find it. I still don't enjoy self-promotion and I still have a hard time volunteering as much as I think I ought to.

I have made friends I might never have met otherwise.  I have deepened relationships with people who might never have been more than acquaintances.  I have learned that sometime people really do want to hear what I have to say and really enjoy seeing photos of me dressed up or dressed down - and I've learned to enjoy that appreciation, but not to drown in it or become self-absorbed.  I have shared what skills I have with those who have asked me to, and I have opened myself to being more open to asking others to share what they know with me.

I know at this point I have gone on way too long but it is my soap box, and you're not chained down, although I would definitely get into it if you were ;-) So just a wee bit more.

As I said above, my focus this year has been on bringing kink and fetish back to the surface.  I hope that in your interactions with me, you've been turned on, whether by me, by my gear, or by my playfulness is fine by me.  Heaven knows I've been turned on by you, your gear, and your playfulness.  We are leathermen and leatherwomen or as I prefer - kinkmen and kinkwomen.  Next time you head out to a bar, club, or event (or heck, even to the movies) wear your kink!  Put on some leather pants, weat tall boots to work, bring a flogger to the movies.  Make people raise their eyebrows, ask questions, take notice of you. 

Have some fun, treat people well, do good deeds, and live today like it's a precious gift.

Thank you to the many people who have been especially supportive and encouraging this past year.  I have more to say to you elsewhere and elsewhen.


Brad Taylor was selected as Mr Regiment 2010 on November 13, 2009.  I wish him as wonderful a year ahead as mine has been behind and will do everything in my power to ensure that it is.

With gratitude, appreciation, and humility,
Alex Lindsay
Mr Regiment 2009
American Leatherman 2009

2 comments:

  1. I have seldom seen a man of your caliber take hold of the Title of American Leatherman and operate so well. Your visibility is uplifting and having Lorne share your mission so obviously is particularly inspiring. There is so much time left before the end of your commission. Keep On the Good Foot. You are a exactly what we need in a Stimulus Package.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's an inspiring post, Alex! And Congratulations to Brad. I just checked the "Sash Bash" pages of the current LEATHER JOURNAL. Brad's there, and a hot looking man he is.

    ReplyDelete